H o m e
Welcome to the Friends of Bishopstone Station platform! FoBS are dedicated to preserving this lovely Art Deco building and creating a community hub for Bishopstone Residents and surrounding communities to enjoy.
Bishopstone Railway Station
Bishopstone railway station is on the western side of the town of Seaford, East Sussex, England. It is situated close to the coast, and about 1 mile (1.6 km) from the hamlet of Bishopstone after which it is named. Train services from the station are provided by Southern, and the station is on the Seaford Branch of the East Coastway Line, 58 miles (93.4 km) measured from London Bridge.
Before this station opened the first Bishopstone station was 0.6 miles (1 km) further west at Tide Mills. That was closed in 1938 when the current station opened, but was subsequently reopened under the name of Bishopstone Beach Halt, and survived as such until 1942.
In collaboration with
Southern Railway Company New Station and platform buildings at Bishopstone. Invitation to tender.
The station building and the platform buildings were to be delivered within 5 months, at an oral cost of £6,170. In the event of non-completion on time, an extra charge of £5 per day was to be levied.
Floors to lavatories were laid with glass vitreous mosaic to approved colours and designs with cube skirting and cove, provided and laid by Messrs Rust’s Vitreous Mosaic Co Ltd, 47 Church Road London, SW11
The Booking Hall entrance, Enquiries and Lobby to bridge were to be paved with 18”x18” “Uni-cola’ non-slip tiles in two colours.
Floors to Parcels Office Stores and cupboards boiler and fuel were to be laid with granolithic paving, 1 1/4” thick composed of three parts granite clippings and one part Portland cement.
The Flag pole and base on the roof were to be provided at a cost of £100.